Heart of the Matter

Andy Chan's Blog for Parents, Mentors and Teachers

Envisioning Liberal Arts and Careers in the 21st Century

When I was hired at Wake Forest three years ago, President Hatch and I envisioned that we would hold a national conference for liberal arts colleges to discuss the importance of personal and career development as a mission critical component of the college experience. I am excited that our vision will be realized this week.

As we discuss the role and value of a liberal arts education in the 21st century at Rethinking Success, we hope to address the question: Is higher education fulfilling its role to intentionally prepare students for life after college?

National thought leaders, including Stanley N. Katz, Philip D. Gardner, Teresa A. Sullivan, Martha O’Connell, Mark Zandi, Neil Howe, Marc B. Lautenbach and others will serve as speakers on the following panels:
  • The Historical Perspective
  • Employment and Market Trends
  • View from the Top – University Presidents
  • View from Liberal Arts Colleges
  • Understanding Today’s Students
  • The Current and Future World of Work
  • Real Transformational Change

To review the entire conference agenda, click here.

We are especially honored to host two dynamic keynote speakers at the conference, Dr. Condoleezza Rice and A.G Lafley.

Dr. Condoleezza Rice, Former US Secretary of State, Professor and Senior Fellow at Stanford University, and Founding Partner of The Rice Hadley Group, will speak on the state of America and the role of higher education on Wednesday, April 11th.

A.G. Lafley, former Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of Procter & Gamble, and Chairman of the Hamilton College Board of Trustees, will speak on the divergent perspectives and roles of colleges and employers that carry serious consequences on Thursday, April 12th.

It is my hope that our conference will unearth key insights and conversations, as well as identify next steps to continue the dialogue and maintain momentum on this important issue. We will have guest blog posts and live updates during and immediately following the conference as well as an ongoing Twitter conversation at #RethinkingSuccess. I hope that you will join in the conversation. To learn more, please visit the Rethinking Success website.

One Response to Envisioning Liberal Arts and Careers in the 21st Century

1. I was excited to learn about this conference and only sorry I didn’t hear about it sooner. As an English major who went on to a long career in corporate high tech management, I know the liberal arts are a great foundation for careers in business. I’ve created a website devoted to that very subject, and perhaps students will find some specific assistance there if they wish to pursue careers in the for-profit sector. (http://www.LiberalArtsAdvantage.com)